- Yields: 8 servings
- Preparation: 60 minutes
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Spreadables Regular
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tsp (20mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) pepper
- 4 cups (1L) chicken broth, or vegetable, sodium reduced
- 28 oz (796mL) canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) dried red lentils
- 1 cup (250mL) HEWITT'S - Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup (50mL) fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp (5mL) lemon juice
- Melt butter in Dutch oven or large saucepan set on medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened and fragrant. Add broth, tomatoes and lentils; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Transfer 2 cups (500 mL) of the solids to a blender and purée until smooth. Return puréed mixture to pot, along with sour cream. Cook, on medium low heat and stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or just until heated through. Stir in parsley and lemon juice just before serving. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- The soup can be prepared up to the point of adding sour cream and frozen for up to 1 month. Reheat thawed soup gently; stir in sour cream and simmer just until heated through. Stir in parsley and lemon juice just before serving.
- The lentils need to be “picked over” before rinsing and cooking to remove any foreign matter such as small stones or dirt.