- Yields: 8 servings
- Preparation: 158 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (75mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 4 tsp (20mL) instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250mL) all purpose flour, approx.
- 3 tbsp (45mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 2 2/3 cups (650mL) HEWITT'S - Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) egg whites, approx. 10
- 2 tbsp (30mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 1 1/3 cups (325mL) instant dissolving sugar
- Beat the butter, sugar, espresso powder and vanilla extract on medium speed until fluffy. Stir the flour with the cornstarch and salt in a separate bowl; beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture on low speed just until combined. Form into a disc; chill for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Roll dough out, on a lightly floured surface, a generous ¼ inch (5 mm) thick. Use a 3 inch (8 cm) round cookie cutter to make 8 cookies. (Re-roll scraps as needed). Place cookies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; chill for 15 minutes. Bake cookies for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely on a rack.
- Arrange cookies on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Centre a small scoop of ice cream (about ⅓ cup/75 mL) in the middle of each cookie. Return to freezer for at least one hour or until very firm.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Using a mixer on high-speed, beat the egg whites with the lemon juice, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Continuing on high speed, add the sugar, a spoonful at a time, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Working very quickly, swirl the meringue all over the ice cream-topped cookies, just to the cookie base, leaving no holes but being careful not to touch the foil with the meringue.
- Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly golden; serve immediately.
- Bring egg whites to room temperature before whipping for better volume.
- Make-ahead: Store the baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- For preparation ease, coat ice cream topped cookies with the meringue mixture and freeze for at least 24 hours before baking in the hot oven.
- Divide the ice cream-topped cookies between two baking sheets. Holding one sheet in the freezer while topping the other with the meringue will allow more time to coat the ice cream thoroughly. If the oven can accommodate two sheets side-by-side, bake off simultaneously, otherwise, once completely frozen, transfer all the ‘Alaskas' to one baking sheet.