- Yields: about 8 dozen cookies
- Preparation: 90 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup (250mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125mL) HEWITT'S - Sour Cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp (10mL) vanilla extract, or rum extract
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground nutmeg, fresh
- 3 cups (750mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- maraschino cherries, chopped
- sprinkles or coloured sugars, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Beat butter with sugar until very light and fluffy. Beat in sour cream, egg yolk, rum extract and nutmeg until well combined. Stir flour with baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually blend into butter mixture on low speed.
- Transfer dough to a cookie press. Press the dough onto ungreased, baking sheets. Decorate as desired.
- Bake, in batches, for 6 to 8 minutes or until just pale golden on bottom. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet; transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- If the dough sticks to the cookie press, to help it release, chill the baking sheets and be sure not to grease or line with parchment paper.
- For those without a cookie press, reduce the flour by 1/2 cup (125 mL) and use a piping bag fitted with a wide star tip. Pipe loonie-sized mounds, decorate and bake as directed above.
- Replace the rum extract with vanilla and replace the nutmeg with 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated orange zest for an orange scented spritz.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.