- Yields: 24 sandwiches
- Preparation: 105 minutes
- Beat in the flour on low speed. (Dough will be crumbly.) Stir in the dried cherries. Turn out onto a work surface and knead gently until the dough comes together. Divide the dough into two portions and transfer to sheets of plastic wrap. Use the wrap to shape each into a log, about 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) diameter. Chill for 1 hour or until firm enough to slice easily.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Slice the logs into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick rounds. Arrange, at least 1-inch (2.5 cm) apart, on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake, in batches, for 10 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom. Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Let ice cream stand at room temperature until slightly softened. Place a 1 tbsp (15 mL) scoop on half the cookies; cap with remaining cookie and press down carefully to adhere. Freeze for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Make-ahead: Store the baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Store the assembled sandwiches in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week.
- Sensational Shortbread: The cookies are delicious on their own. Create endless variations on the base recipe by adding complementary flavours such as finely grated orange zest, chopped candied ginger, chopped dark or white chocolate.
- Simple Substitution: Use dried cranberries instead of cherries.
- Main Event: Make these ice cream sandwiches dessert course worthy by increasing their size. Form the dough into 3-inch logs and bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Fill the cooled cookies with about 1/4 cup (50 mL) softened ice cream.
- Frozen Assets: Replace the chocolate ice cream with vanilla ice cream, lemon ice or pistachio gelato.